Application Deadline: Friday, May 8, 2020
In 1978, Lionel England “Lee” Rombach donated funds to Religious Studies at the University of Arizona for the purpose of supporting upper-level undergraduates pursuing the study of religion. He endowed this scholarship in memory of his parents, Lambert Rombach and Anna England Rombach. For over forty years, the Rombach Scholarship has been distributed annually to Religious Studies majors to help with their educational expenses. Lee Rombach passed away in 2008, and his legacy continues to benefit Religious Studies majors at the University of Arizona. His obituary can be read here.
In keeping with the spirit of Lee Rombach’s gift to Religious Studies, the department is offering a one-time Lionel E. Rombach Emergency Scholarship fund for upper-division Religious Studies majors facing challenges in completing their education as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This scholarship will help support students in completing their Religious Studies major by contributing to their educational expenses at the University of Arizona.
To be eligible for this funding, students must meet the following criteria:
- Currently pursuing a Religious Studies major at the University of Arizona.
- Facing significant financial challenges in completing the major in Religious Studies.
- Currently in good standing at the University of Arizona, with a minimum 3.0 GPA for the Religious Studies major.
- Will have completed at least five (5) Religious Studies courses (half the major) by the end of Spring 2020.
- Planning to enroll in one or more RELI courses in Summer and/or Fall 2020.
- Students who have received a Rombach/Bretall scholarship in the past can apply for this funding, if they are facing significant financial challenges.
To apply for this funding, please submit the following to Scholarship Universe by May 8, 2020:
- An unofficial transcript.
- A Religious Studies degree completion plan. Please work with faculty advisors Prof. Alison Jameson (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Prof. Grant Adamson (email@example.com) to complete this. The degree completion plan form can be downloaded below.
- A 1-2 page statement of need. Please describe in detail the financial challenges you are facing, and details regarding how the funds would assist you in completing your Religious Studies major. (For example, through enrolling in a summer course, or helping to pay for tuition in Fall 2020.) At the top of your statement of need, please include the following:
- your name
- your university email address
- your major(s)
- your expected graduation date
- the Religious Studies courses you will have completed by the end of Spring 2020
- (Optional): If available, please do include any documentation of pertinent information showing financial need. For example, please include documentation of Pell Grant eligibility or any other established eligibility for need-based funding.
To apply, click the "Apply Now" link below and enter "Lionel E. Rombach Emergency Scholarship for Religious Studies" in the Scholarship Universe search engine.
Please note that funds are limited. The number and size of the awards will be determined by the Department of Religious Studies and Classics after reviewing applications.
If you receive a Rombach Emergency Scholarship, please note that the funds will be distributed to your bursar’s account after you have enrolled in a Summer 2020 or Fall 2020 RELI course (or courses), and after you have confirmed that you have discussed this scholarship with your financial aid adviser. Based on advice you receive from your financial aid adviser, our office can adjust the timing of the disbursement of any awarded Rombach funds so as not to jeopardize other financial aid opportunities. After you have spoken with your financial aid adviser AND enrolled in a summer and/or fall RELI class, please contact Gennady Sare at firstname.lastname@example.org to let him know the best timing for distributing your Rombach award to your bursar’s account.
Questions? Contact Dr. Karen Seat, Head, Department of Religious Studies & Classics, at email@example.com.